Friday, May 29, 2009

BAKA

BAKA


Murthy aka director, Nischal aka papu, Hebsur aka Ambedkar, Sandesh aka Konda, Deepak aka Bookworm, Dhruva aka DD(saavu/golu),
Vinod aka shivalli. These are the guys who got admission in Baka(Babbor kamme Seva samithi) in my Batch. It was a rainy 2004 when i first stepped into Baka.
It was new feeling to stay out of home and study in a hostel. I came to Bang to do my BE in the great MS Engg College located outskirts of yelahanka.
The Baka and the environment has taught me so many lessons. I am on the way here to write my experience during my stay in Baka. I was in Baka for only 2 years.
Though my BE course for 4 years. When i first entered Baka I agree I was damn scared as I have look after myself all alone. Baka is really an ideal place for studies.
The ambience, environment, vaasthu everything was tailored in such a way as if it made for us. It consists of 16 rooms in which normally 2 per room can accomodate.
But 3 can comfortable fit in. A fairly big field in the center with Ashoka trees in the boundary. A temple of Sri Sharada is marvelous. My first room was Room #2.
The warden asked R.Prashanth(RP who holds the record for maximum number of years who stayed in Hostel) to show me the Nook. I was all alone during my first few months.
First day, I dropped the things in room and Tukali asked me to wear Dhothi as it was 8 PM and I got ready. Before dinner we are supposed to do the prayer. The dining hall
is also fairly big that could accomodate around 50 people. Warden usually sits in the first followed by RP and so on. The food in baka was getting prepared by KuBa(Kull batru, Ramesh) and Dod Batru.
Sometimes my mouth still waters if I remember those days. There is something called "Endowment" where some sponsor for Baka students a days meal. It would be like festival for us on those days.
Special food was being prepared. Vade I must say the exciting item. We were supplied a glass full of Gasgase Payasa. Guys with a big glass were lucky. I was one of them. Next day morning Anirudh(tukali)
knocked my room door. He was staying next to my room and had shared the room with Satya, senior. It was 4-30 AM in the morning and he came holding a bucket. It is the time where we had keep our buckets
in front of the water Boiler. Its like First come first serve. RP was the person most of the days who switches on the boiler switch. If u go ten minutes late , u could find
a market of Buckets. As I had to leave early to catch the college Bus, I was forced to get up at 4-45 AM sometimes even 1-30AM as the competition was getting harder.
6-45 is the time where every bakain has to assemble in the Temple for Morning Prayer with Dhothi, followed by Morning Tea. I usually was having tiffin at the same time, sometimes
took a Box as i had to rush to catch the college Bus.

MSEC. The college that gave me BE degree. Going to college and coming back to hostel by college bus was the main task for me everyday. The college was 30 Km from Baka.
First few months I was not able to turn the pages of degree books as i was getting tired too much. The guys who were going for near by colleges were coming back to hostel
sooner than me and started to Play cricket. Daily i cursed the traffic jam that was not allowing me to reach hostel sooner and restricted from playing.
Ufff,,,hectic days. Sometimes even 7PM I have reached the hostel. Forget studying on that day. Upon that if an endowment is there, Gone. Eat and sleep. Though my college was
a brand new, it taught me atleast lessons. Eesha(Lakshmisha), Jade(hemanth for his long hairs), Baddimaga/Hallimeshtru(Hemanth from Arsikere) and many more to pen down.

Days went on. I used to study late night only during exam times. But this was not with Airudh/Deepak s case. Papu was the one who used to sleep more. Sandesh(sorry maga) was the
one There is something called "PrefectShip" in Baka. The prefect is one who is responsble for giving stores to Batrus for daily food. We had to go market on sundays
to buy vegatables. Mangalore cucumber by default had to be purchased. Though my stay in Baka was only for 2 years I cannot forget even a sinle moment that I spent in Baka.
The pranks we played with Murthy is still memorable. Getting laugh now. I am proud to say We bakains had won a cricket Tournament once organised by Shetru hostel. It was a great moment.
Amongst the seniors, Satya,Arun, AP, KP, Rakesh, Rajesh, Sai were those whom we get along with. It was very memorable days. We used to organise InterHostel and Intra hostel
games/ Essay writing etc. I had won second and first prise in InterHostel and IntraHostel respectively. Mattur Krishna Murthy was the Cheif Guest. We also played some skits directed by Murthy
and it was very much impressive on the Baka committee.

The happiness what I see here still lingers in my Mind. Thanks to Baka and the Endowment Owners, Batrus, Seniors and last but the least Baka friends.

2 comments:

AnirudhN said...

One thing not to be forgotten is because of this BAKAsura , the endowment which consisted of VADA which was served unlimited , came down to a count of 3.thanks to this guy who ate 14 to 15 at a time leaving all others mesmerized :D

The Great Mind said...

FYI : in the above comment "this guy"
refers to Anirudh himself.

Thanks.